Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Premium, Stacked Basma: a review

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
WLT Premium, Stacked Basma

Garden20180914_3915_WLT_StackedBasma_inBag_700.jpg

I'm reviewing something that you may never see. WLT is attempting to acquire this, but it's still up in the air. This Turkish Basma is the highest quality Basma (or any Oriental, for that matter) that I've ever sampled. No hype. It's just the truth. The leaf sizes are remarkably uniform, about 4" long, and consistently sun-cured to a brilliant gold. And they have been carefully stacked in perfect alignment. It's the spectacular Basma that Constantinides wrote about over a century ago.

TurkishTobacco_PackingABasma.jpg

I can't imagine the labor cost, even in Turkey, for such pride and care.

Just sliding a portion of it out of the bag provided me with a pre-stacked quantity for manually shredding.

Garden20180914_3916_WLT_StackedBasma_outOfBag_500.jpg

I prefer a coarse shred for pipe blends, but you can obtain a shred of about half that width using the same method. It just takes longer, and smokes hotter.

Garden20180914_3918_WLT_StackedBasma_sliceAsIs_500.jpg

I then segmented the leaf to limit the shred length.

Garden20180914_3919_WLT_StackedBasma_segmented_500.jpg

A good rub between your hands, and you have the finest Basma pipe tobacco you're ever likely to come across. (Of course, it can be blended into flue-cured leaf, for cigarettes, or just used straight. It's just that mild and smooth.)

Garden20180914_3920_WLT_StackedBasma_inHand_500.jpg

As an unblended pipe tobacco, this Premium, Stacked Basma is soft, subtly floral, and almost imperceptibly sweet. It is mildly acidic, lending it a gentle sour note, like a tiny squeeze of lemon in a chilled glass of spring water.

Garden20180914_3921_WLT_StackedBasma_inPipe_400.jpg

I don't know if WLT can procure this for general sale, but I would expect it to cost a bit more than the average, randomly baled Turkish Orientals. It will be worth every penny.

[If you are not too proud to beg, then beg (or even bribe) Don to make this available through WLT.]

Bob

greenmonster714

Very nice looking tobacco. Does it smell as good as it looks? I liked basma. I have the regular basma from Don and like it better than the other Oriental. How much would you think Don would sell this? Just a ballpark guess would be good. I hope he does land some for us.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Although I have no way to tell you how it smells, I can say that it smells every bit as delicious as it looks. $22/lb wouldn't surprise me. Could be more, could be less.

I'm not quite sure what the story is on this specific transaction. My guess is that, since this is quite a rare item, there may be competing offers for it. The common tobaccos just have a wholesale price. The fancy stuff can become a bidding war (like a book manuscript by a celebrity).

Over the next few days, I'll do up some pipe blends with the Premium, Stacked Basma, and post further impressions.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That sure looks like the real deal. The only thing missing is the mustachioed Turk in bedroom slippers, stacking it while we watch.

Bob

TigerTom

I had a chance to sample the Stacked Basma I received yesterday. This is in a class by itself. It is delicately aromatic, with a wonderful almost indescribable Turkish aroma. The leaves are beautiful shades of golden and light brown, and fully intact.

The flavor of the smoke was very delicate, slightly floral, barely sweet and slightly acidic. I can agree with Bob's description 100%.

I hope this is something Don can stock with some regularity.

TrumpetMouf

Got a sample with my recent order- thanks it looks lovely! Would you recommend shredding it for cigarettes? That's what I'm doing right now but I'm also thinking of making some shisha in the near future and I wonder if it would be better for that? I'm not really much of a pipe smoker...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Got a sample with my recent order- thanks it looks lovely! Would you recommend shredding it for cigarettes? That's what I'm doing right now but I'm also thinking of making some shisha in the near future and I wonder if it would be better for that? I'm not really much of a pipe smoker...

The Basma is good in a cigarette, I’ve never made shisha or used a hooka.

I use a pipe mostly to sample and test. I rip off a chunk of leaf and stick it in the pipe. No shredding necessary I just wad it up like a dry spit ball and smoke it. I smoke my cigarette blend in a pipe and smoke other folks pipe blends. I smoke cigar leaf in it to get an idea of how it might seem in a cigar blend without having to roll a puro. Grab a Missouri Meershaum corn cob and think outside of the box. Not all pipe smokers are pipe snobs. ;) Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Seriously, they’re that simple.