Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Workhorse's 2012 Grow Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I second that Ray, well my 3' tall plants are drooping pretty bad and i'm still moving water at about the same rate , but even if i get the standing water out of here the soil is still saturated and will take at least 5 days of 95* sunshine and no more rain ! Bigbonner do you think they can pull out of it ?

I would like to see a picture . If the leaves droop almost straight down the stalk and the sun is hot and shinning I would say scald . If this is the case they will yellow up / stunt and possibly die .
Let the soil dry and bust it up with a shovel . If the soil drains good you may be ok . Hope for cool air and cloudy days .

I have seen scald come out and still be a fairly good tobacco but sometimes it gets bad .

I should have taken a picture of a tobacco patch from last year where I lost around one acre because of too much water in middle of June .

Rayshields

Hey Workhorse what is going on? We haven't heard from you in a long time. Is your back wiping you out completely. Please let us hear from you. We are praying that you are okay.

Ray

workhorse_01

Sorry man , I own a A/C company and summer is here . We have hit 106*F a few times in the last few weeks and I'm running. No new news on my back my appointment with the neuro surgen is the 27th. only home now for a min. to grab a sandwich.

Boboro

I
I notice from your pictures that you have your plants on ridges. I have some low ground, that has been known to flood, that I am thinking I will ridge also. Anybody else planting on ridges?
I grow on ridges becase I have hard pan clay and need all thetop soil I can get.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I I grow on ridges becase I have hard pan clay and need all thetop soil I can get.

If you have a hard pan it can be broken up with a sub soiler . A hard pan is a layer of soil that is a few inches thick sometimes thicker that keep roots from growing deeper down and it also holds water up . If you break up this layer the soil will drain better . You will have to subsoil every couple of years . It heals itself back over after a period of time .

Boboro

Ever few years I'll take a small track hoe and dig it all up. I have a lot of oak trees that I compost the leaves. to make top soil. I just dont have enuff.It's a tuff place to garden. But I keeps me off the road and out of jail.

workhorse_01

My one sucker is 4' tall and Bigbonners Big Gem,Virginia Gold,and Hickory Pryor are about 6' and i can barely see the tossels peaking outa the top.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i bet all them tall plants toghter, makes it look like a jungle, in between the row's.

BarG

Founding Member
Glad your hangin in there workhorse.

Sounds like your having some realy good growing weather. I been rolling cigs. with some ytb suckers that got pretty big using them for rolling papers, adds a nice flavor to this weeks blend. I had to use a combo cigar, cig. technique.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well , i finally got home,,,,damn 14 hours in that truck makes a body weary

workhorse_01

Ok i got a row planted in the second patch today 51 YTB plants, only about 150 more to go and then about 100 Gold Dollar plants and that will be my season .Or it better be with my back the way it is . I've cut a canal on the back of my garden with the old john deere and used the dirt to fill in and level my whole garden it's about 10" higher than before so we probably wont get anymore rain now. LOL. My first two patches are stunted due to sitting in water for two weeks ,they topped out at about 4' but i should still get a pretty good harvest out of them. I already have sand lugs hanging and soon the second prim so the leaves are getting wider and so is my smile till then.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
how are you going to hang them?

you should look at the '' stringing tobacco'' thread, i tried it, and got better with each hanging,

depending on how it cures up, i may be hanging all my crop this way next year

Status
Not open for further replies.