Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

wrapper crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that we (or at least I) am heading for a crisis when it comes to wrappers. Don's stock is very low and getting lower by the day. The pa oscuro has been removed from his site. Many others are out of stock so we are left with only a couple of choices. For those like me who lean toward the darker maduro type wrappers it becomes a serious issue. I am wanting to re order some filler. But unless I can get the kind of wrapper I am after there isn;t much point. I have been experimenting with wrapper selected from filler or binder leaves with some success but that Is not good for anything other than experimentation because there is no guarantee of getting a suitable amount of wrapper quality leaves from filler or binder.

My taste in cigars leans heavily to sticks like. La Aroma de cuba, Pretty much anything Padron, La gloria Cubana, torano exodus, and almost anything with a chocolaty brown wrapper :) so at this point I really have no clue what the solution will be.

Raodwarior

The Ecuadorian Maduro should be perfect for you then. Also, thanks for the call on the wrapper, your right was low needed to stock up quite a bit.

I have some of the ecuador and also some of the H2k. Both of them so far seem to lean toward the spicy side.The ecuador more so than the h2k.I dont mind A bit of spicy but only with a nice creamy blend to help balance it. I am still experimenting with these two. I also have used the dom binder as wrapper. I have not smoked them yet but will soon, but again there are not very many leaves that will make wrapper grade. I was waiting for Don to restock some filler and I was going to order it along with the PA oscuro (which from all reports sounds exactly what i,m after) Sadly about a day before the filler showed up the wrapper was gone.

From what I have tried so far I think my main blend would be focused around the AO blend but with a differrent wrapper.I see a lot of potential in that blend but It IMO it needs just a little something extra.I believe the answer lies in a nice chocolaty flavored wrapper. I think that combo would be very PADRON- ish. The flojo viso has a nice smooth profile with an awesome aroma. The smell it leaves on my hands is delicious. A touch of the mata fina might be really nice as well. Now if the Mata fina were wrapper grade well we might just have ourselves a winner but its filler grade.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Next order throw in some fire cured leaf, can make a great binder for that rustic frontier Clint Eastwood cigar.

For now I ordered the flojo viso and the mata fina.Dont want to dick around waiting for wrappers and find out they are out of stock.I got a MC kit thrown in so I can try the ecuador shade wrapper and sumatra binder?wrapper.

juan carlos

Ya I like those. Wish I new how to flavor them the same as backwoods.

if you have no camel dung, perhaps horse would be a good stand in? (Hehheheh):D

the ecu maduro is a really nice wrapper, i found it needs a month or better of time in the box. spicy mouth feel but smooth cocoa smoke. it's a slow burner, so maybe a fairly flammable binder under it is a good choice. one of my favorite blends so far has been
ecu maduro wrap
dominican binder
criollo seco
corojo viso
and a 1/4 leaf of san vincente ligaro.

i suffered the same indecision on the last buy, trying to tie the order together because international shipping is so expensive. ended up pulling the trigger and i bought 2 of the PAO..sorry, i feel greedy now....

now i have to reorder to get some of the new goodies, and my last order is not even here yet!

[QUOTE=

i suffered the same indecision on the last buy, trying to tie the order together because international shipping is so expensive. ended up pulling the trigger and i bought 2 of the PAO..sorry, i feel greedy now....

now i have to reorder to get some of the new goodies, and my last order is not even here yet

You lowdown swine...LOL hogging the PAO. Oh well I snoozed and I loozed :confused: I just heard from a reliable source thate the ecu shade wrapper is quite nice so If its a winner Ill order everything he has.lol

LOl yes I know i should have jumped all over it. Unfortunately with living in the great white north the shipping isnt cheap so I try to make sure when placing an order to make it count..so to speak.

Care to enlighten us on the new round??

juan carlos

sorry but it is not by air mail ?...

Je vois que vous êtes canadien... ce n'est pas envoyé par avion ?... mon traducteur google me dit transport maritime international...

Oui , je suis Canadien.

ici les frontières des pays sont gardées pour les impôts.

two postal companies, duties, taxes, inspections...=$$$$

ArizonaDave

My favorite Maduro wrappers are:
1) San Andres
2) Ecuador Maduro
3) the new Penn. Broadleaf (binder)
4) Penn. Oscuro (binder)

I haven't tried Ecuador shade yet, but I'll probably love it. I usually get H2000, which has been my fav. lighter leaf because of the stretchiness. But without Nic. Habano Seco, the H2000 is starting to lose appeal to me, which just might be a sign as a roller I might just be wanting to try new stuff.

Raodwarior

Take the Maduro and dunk it for about 30 seconds in a 5 gal pail of water...shake it out and repeat. Then hang in to drip for about 45 min to an hour. then unfold the leaves flat, if too dry add some water otherwise hang for another 30 min. Strip the center vein and lay in a stack to of the leaf up (one will be forward on will be backward) Roll from each end as in a scroll and put in zip lock back and into fridge for 1-2 days. Now put the wrapper on the cigar and you will get the flavor that was meant to be. When you learn to case the wrapper then you will get the most from it.If I can one of these days I will have the wife do a video so you can see how I do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Take the Maduro and dunk it for about 30 seconds in a 5 gal pail of water...shake it out and repeat. Then hang in to drip for about 45 min to an hour. then unfold the leaves flat, if too dry add some water otherwise hang for another 30 min. Strip the center vein and lay in a stack to of the leaf up (one will be forward on will be backward) Roll from each end as in a scroll and put in zip lock back and into fridge for 1-2 days. Now put the wrapper on the cigar and you will get the flavor that was meant to be. When you learn to case the wrapper then you will get the most from it.If I can one of these days I will have the wife do a video so you can see how I do it.

Thanks for sharing your technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.