Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco
Status
Not open for further replies.

leverhead

Did it rust through from the inside out, or outside in? In an alternating current environments, stray currents can do allot of damage to galvanic coatings.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I look down inside. There's a hole. Since the Cozy Can is currently running a kilning batch, I have not looked at the bottom from the outside. I did check the wooden porch floor beneath it, and that looks fine.

As for stray AC, I use only the highest quality Crockpot ($4.94, on sale at Walmart). The Crockpot, though not formally grounded, utilizes a polarized plug. All electrical connections are outside the can, are grounded, and remain dry.

Bob

leverhead

...As for stray AC, I use only the highest quality Crockpot ($4.94, on sale at Walmart). The Crockpot, though not formally grounded, utilizes a polarized plug. All electrical connections are outside the can, are grounded, and remain dry.

Bob

I was thinking more of induced currents that are localized if they find a path to ground, a changing field near conductors will do it. Not all grounds are created equally and can be hard to find. Galvanizing is sacrificial protection, Zinc is preferentially lost before the steel. You can salvage the rest of the parts for the Cozy Can, a new can might be the cheapest way to go. Different materials and shape might eliminate the problem and give you more room to work with. A good cigar and a warm spot should make the decision making process easier.

Bex

This is a sad moment....I think that the Cozy Can is a national treasure (it certainly enticed me to start reading this forum). So, to further illustrate my stupidity.....what about aluminum?? Or just a plate of aluminum to cover the current hole that you have until your runs are finished?? I can advise that, from the shed roofs that are in my area, while galvanized metal sounds great, in actuality - and in the elements - it can be a different story. Or maybe we will find a scientific study on the severe effect perioxidase (was that what it was called??) has on galvanic corrosion.
My suggestion (naturally) is to go to the dump, pick up a free chest freezer, and then do a blow by blow post on setting it up, how it works, where you position your crockpot and fans, etc., etc., so that I can copy you. Actually, any of the receptacles that you can pick up at the dump might be an idea - they would be free (and you wouldn't have to deal with wrapping it all with insulation.) Anyway, I'm sorry for your news - the Cozy Can will always hold a special place in my heart....:)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Here lies the Cozy Can,
The product of a genius man.
But nature has her way,
She had her way today,
Now all await the Stogie's brand new plan...

holyRYO

May I suggest a polypropylene trash can. I saw some at Walmart the other day. No out gasing, can take high temps.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I wish to express my deepest appreciation for the upwelling of kind words (and poetry) from FTT members, at the passing of the Cozy Can. It led a full life. Its only goal was to serve. But entropy always holds sway. Ashes to ashes. Rust to rust. The very air we breath spells doom.

Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, inside a shining can, that held an old Crockpot.

Bob

Brown Thumb

I am Sorry to hear about your loss. If you are going to give her a proper burial in the land fill good luck.
I would scrap her. The Last trashed trash can I tried to get rid of they would not take. I wrote take me in spray paint on it. I put a note on top ect. Had no trash in it either. My wife got tired of hauling it back and forth so I took it to work and thru it in the dumpster. They just don't build them like they used to.

BarG

Founding Member
I just blew an engine in the truck I've been driving for 8 years. A rebuilt engine expected to last another 5 or six. I almost sold my 1986 F150 29 year old beast [ Bought new] to get it out of my yard but I am glad I didn't. Sentimental value! It has been ressurected after 4 engines, 3 transmissions and clutchs, 2 steering columns later. I washed all the green mildew and algae after pouring a little gas in the carb and putting a battery and it cranked first time. On the road again, I got inssurance, registration and plan on inspection tommorrow. A couple of fuses, fluid checks and changes ,and bulbs should suffice.

Maybe your cozy can is salvagable, Cut a piece of sheet metal same diameter as interior bottom and rivet or screw down like we used to fix our old smokey bar b que pits to get another year or three. Maybe the cozy can ,being the first of its kind should be saved for posterity, Heh heh.

asterix the gaul

2nd year growing,i just followed your crock pot kiln plans;awesome unit! works great, i managed to get the hot water thermostat below the minimum temperature by cutting off the pointer on the dial and going a bit lower(it had a low temp mark of 110 f;got down to 95 f) thanks again for the plans!

Paul

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and I have decided to make a "Cozy Can" to try flue curing this year (it is my first year growing). Has anyone in the UK made one of these? The reason I ask is that the insulation blanket doesn't seem to be available here, and I think our typical "multi-segment" water heater blankets are too small. I'd be interested in finding out about some alternatives.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A better bet would be to construct an insulated box, like the endoskeletal kiln: https://fairtradetobacco.com/thread...tal-wood-tobacco-kiln-flue-cure-chamber.5767/

That would allow much more efficient space inside, and a size of your choosing. With flat walls, rigid insulation board replaces the fiberglass blanket. A box also makes it much easier to install a circulation fan, which makes a significant difference in flue-curing.

Bob

Paul

OK - I appreciate that the cozy can is not the recommended approach..... but it is so simple, especially for a first-timer, that I could not resist it.
1567632439489.png

The first results were good (not perfect)

1567632585909.png

Anyway - the point is I can flue cure.... and deal with the details in the autumn.

Thanks to all you guys on the forum. I now know what would be required for a full-scale grow. ( a new flue cure kiln) but, I know I can do it

Paul

OK - I appreciate that the cozy can is not the recommended approach..... but it is so simple, especially for a first-timer, that I could not resist it.
View attachment 28232

The first results were good (not perfect)

View attachment 28233

Anyway - the point is I can flue cure.... and deal with the details in the autumn.

Thanks to all you guys on the forum. I now know what would be required for a full-scale grow. ( a new flue cure kiln) but, I know I can do it
Just to point out, I'm doing this in Ireland. I was hugely influenced by Bex... I don't know if she is still on the forum, but her success inspired me

paintercote

If you plan to set up a Cozy Can flue-cure chamber, remember that the home improvement stores are not likely to carry the required thermostat. You will need one that can reach at least 165ºF+. You will probably have to order one on-line, using the link posted in the "parts" section of the thread. Also, the crucial solution to yellowing at low temperature requires at least one 17 watt (9" x 19.5") seedling heat mat (probably two), also not usually available at retail stores this time of year. They can be found at:
The seedling mat(s) can, of course, be used in the spring for germinating seedlings.

Bob

Attachments

• Photo on 11-12-20 at 4.11 PM.jpg
    Photo on 11-12-20 at 4.11 PM.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.