Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Florida Dave’s first attempt to grow

Florida Dave

I was out of town for a week - the growth was a nice welcome back. Going to have to make the mods to my shed to get ready for curing. The Criollo seems to be growing much faster then the Connecticut’s in the shade the wooden stakes are 4’ tall, the green ones 6’ IMG_6674.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6675.jpeg
    IMG_6675.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 8

Florida Dave

A couple of the Criollos look like they are starting to bud. One of the Connecticut Shades kind of collapsed on itself last week - I only had one tie on it about halfway up with all the new growth. I am going to add some more ties all the way up the supports. Next year I will set the poles first and add the plants second. It looks like I may end up with leaf from 2 Conneticut Shade, 2 Conneticut Broadleaf, 2 Havana long leaf, and 8 Criollo.

I also picked up a fridge to turn into a kiln so today was a good day.

Attachments

• IMG_6686.jpeg
    IMG_6686.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 8

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Is this a horn worm?
Yes. You can see its namesake "horn" protruding from its tail end. You can pick them off, one at a time, day by day, or spray all the leaves with BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) weekly until harvest. They tend to come in waves, about 3 weeks apart.

You can also inspect (usually) the underside of the leaves for a solitary, iridescent green, spherical egg, about the size of Lincoln's chin.

Garden20140625_1262_pestFest_hornwormEgg_500.jpg

Bob

EDIT: Both the worms and the eggs removed from the leaves must be crushed and killed, rather than just flicked away. I usually smash a tiny hornworm with my thumb, right on the leaf. Larger ones get crushed between a couple of rocks. An egg is plucked off, and crushed between my thumb and finger, until it pops.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Differences between tomato and tobacco hornworms. They both eat tobacco.

Florida Dave

Well the BT turned a couple of the little green munchers into little gray danglers. I also called in reinforcements and released about 100 lady bugs around the plants this evening. I think I will be able to start priming in the next couple of weeks so I will release a hundred or so lady bugs every couple of days as needed. I will spray BT once a week as well - it does not affect the lady bugs.

Florida Dave

Comparing some of the lower leaves on my Criollo to the Mature vs Ripe sticky, I will start priming this week. The Connecticut’s se to be late maturing and the two Havana Longleaf are still dark green so not yet. The insects perforated a lot of my leaves this year: lessons have been learned…IMG_6759.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6760.jpeg
    IMG_6760.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6758.jpeg
    IMG_6758.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6759.jpeg
    IMG_6759.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6757.jpeg
    IMG_6757.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 15

Florida Dave

IMG_6763.jpeg

It may not look like it but there are 56 seco leaves and 22 volado leaves here all Criollo. I partially opened the back window and put a fan in on low to circulate the air.

I also had one of the Connecticut shades blow over and the stalk split. I tied it to a new stake to see if there was any growth left in it over the next few days. I don’t think that is going to be a good variety for my climate and attention span.

Florida Dave

Some of the leaves are half the size of others. They were all showing maturity: yellowing tips and edges and a mottled alligator look. Since I am growing to roll my own should I expect the smaller leaves to be comparable to the big ones - are they worth the time fooling with or will I find out more in a couple or three months?

Florida Dave

So after running the kiln for 2 1/2 days I cracked the door for a glimpse of the water level - I am using an ultrasonic fog maker floating in about a quart of distilled water - I was not expecting the aroma that came out! I am really looking forward to the first week of June!

Florida Dave

The ultrasonic mist maker died when the water level got too low. I have another one coming but in the meantime I put a 6 quart plastic tray filled with distilled water with a couple of wash cloths draped over the sides. That is maintaining a high level of humidity pretty well. I may not put the new ultrasonic in when it comes. I like the passive humidity supply better.