Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Preparing Burley for cigarette blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

leverhead

I've been working with individual flavorings in Shisha (Hookah tobacco), Shisha has a large amount of molasses in it and is smoked very wet at a much lower temperature. another difference is, I've only been working with Tombac. With those differences in mind, this may or may not work as well for cigarette tobacco.

I soaked the Tombac in Black Tea that was steeped for 1/2 hr in hot water, at the rate of 1 Tea bag per cup of water. I then wrung out the Tombac before I added the molasses. Compared to Tombac soaked in plain water, my wife and I both thought it tasted like a "full flavored cigarette tobacco". It took the edge off the molasses, without having a big flavor of it's own.

I thought the effect was interesting enough to bring it up here, I haven't toasted any Burley in almost a year and I hate to get side tracked. Skipping the soak and using Tea as the base for the sugar solution prior to toasting on a small batch, might get done sooner by someone that toasts Burley on a more regular basis.

darren1979

First Time Grower
May have to try that one boboro, i tried my tn90 today after kilning and aging and its got one ass of a tongue bite. Reminded me of being back at school and being dared to stick your tongue on a 9v battery.

AmaxB

Hi guys
Back to what I did with the bath mix, after 4 days bagged around 68F. One bag got mold so bad I through it out (the Red Tip). The other two were OK checked each leaf (took awhile) and stacked lose over night.
Went down and checked them One I set aside (dark Air MD from a bale) (had the strong ammonia smell) was dry. I shredded it and am smoking now (mixed with VA Brite 70% Brite) Is smooth but with a heavy flavor and slight burn to the nose. But not bad if you like a strong smoke. I have taken bout a 1/4 pound of it layered and wrapped with foil (loosely) and put in my little oven set at 70C ( bout 158F) and am going to leave it for maybe 1 hour.
The other VA 309 am smoking this one now a mix of 60% brite and 40% VA 309 is nice. It is smooth to my throat and pleasant a rich full flavor but not overly strong very satisfying. (will go in the book)
Have smoked the VA309 with brite at about 90% brite and 10% 309 for a few weeks now, but the dipping did help this out quite a bit. It was bagged 4 days and kept at about 76F had no mold problem was fairly dry (not crunchy) when removed so I shredded the whole hand yesterday.
Will post about the stuff in the oven when done and re-hydrated if needed.

DonH

Why did you cover it with foil? If you're toasting just put it on a plate in the oven. That's how it toasts, by drying out.

AmaxB

I'm experimenting want to see what happens, gonna check it now been bout an hour.
Am no expert got nothin to lose but a little tobacco and personal experience to gain :)

AmaxB

Going to put it back in the oven for 30 minutes more. It was still a bit damp I think after another 30 minutes I will be able to shred it.

DonH

It's still damp because you covered it in foil. That's what you do when you bake things and want to keep the moisture in. Plus the whole idea is to let unwanted fumes escape.

AmaxB

I had the foil loose not sealed DonH I did want for the moisture to escape but did not want to dry the tobacco quickly. Not trying to broil roast but bake to a temp and allow moisture out slowly.
Any way am done with that and have taken pics of the tobacco the leaf can be handled without crunch. I made a vid of removing the rib and shredding it, the rib has some moisture yet but the leaf is soft and not damp or wet. Smoked two of these at a 1 at a 50/50 was smooth and no more slight burn in the nose. It leaves the mouth feeling very clean with a slight bit kind of neat. The other I did at 60 / 40 (60 va brite) the bite was gone and makes for a nice smoke. I fed the non-baked (va309) and the baked to two other people they like both kinds, but liked the baked better and thought it was a good full flavored smoke.
I'll post link after it completes upload at youtube for the vid

These are a few pics after the bake (roast?) the first is before the foil & oven....
befor-bake.jpg
01.jpg
03.jpg

AmaxB

Well for me it is DonH I got a few I like now will try other things in the future. It did smooth the tobaccos out and the baking / roasting took the bite out. A rich full flavor all trace of ammonia and harshness is gone, can't think of anything to compare it to. Makes for a nice smoke. Maybe what I put in the thread even though from a noobi may help others find something they like. I have not bought a packaged cigarette in near 3 years have been smoking RYO P? bagged Stuff and for the last month only Leaf rib in. Don't think I will be smoking the bagged stuff anymore. My next adventure will be with the Molasses as recommended to me earlier in this thread LOL put I will surely put a twist on it. Can't seem to follow instructions, for some reason god chose to make me thick headed.

Status
Not open for further replies.