Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pure Tobacco Pipe Blends You Can Make

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

This blend offers both a full aroma and a full taste. Nicotine is medium-to-full. The Latakia is heavy, but not super-high. I believe this would drag you down into the pit, if you use this much Dark Air-Cured that has not been transformed first into Cavendish. I suspect that the Cavendish process lowers the pH of its smoke a bit, presenting less of a nicotine hit. While the rich Latakia always adds a tingle to your tongue, the overall balance of the blend also contributes a tang. (Pay no attention to any bat wings that may appear. It's all angels.)

Circle Limit IV
  • Latakia 50%
  • Dark Air-Cured Cavendish 18.75%
  • Flue-cured Lemon Virginia 18.75%
  • Stacked Basma 18.75%
Bob

Charly

That's a nice label !
Thank you for making it bigger, at this size now I can see that you put two "m" in "lemon" :D

Ruffseas

That is very cool. Subconsciously unsettling. Thinkin I mmight have to give mmakin dark air cavendish a try, just so I can whip up that blend. :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
you put two "m" in "lemon"
Oops! It proves there is darkness even within the light.

I do have 300 dpi versions of every label that I post. Here is a 16+MB pdf of all the new blend labels since 04 MAY 2019. It includes a few that have yet to be posted.

Pipe Blend Labels since 04 May 2019

Bob

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
About those frogs. I created those three blends exclusively for WLT, back during the summer. They were included as a motivational reward in the Pipe Tobacco section in the WLT Wiki. (But alas, the Wiki has suffered a prolonged and inexplicable distocia, and may--or may not--result in a live birth during December or January. I'm just a spectator at this point.) The frog recipes, though not their printable labels, also appear in Grow Your Own Cigars, which is complete, and will absolutely go live on 1 JAN 2019.

So...we'll just call the frogs,

"New! Leaked images of deluxestogie's rumored Frog Blend series. Read more."

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have updated (actually messed up) the large image for Circle Limit IV to reflect the proper spelling of "Lemon". These things often don't "re-do" very gracefully.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

This 7 component blend presents a mild and measured pouch aroma. It is, in essence, a Virginia / Perique blend with a mere hint of Latakia, and a relatively gentle portion of a rich and slightly floral Oriental. The burn is excellent, and the nicotine is moderate. Despite 25% Perique, it does have a slight, Virginia tongue bite, so it should be smoked slowly. Although the slight bite will go away if you swap in one more part of Perique for one part of Double-Bright, doing that causes the overall blend to lose its mild character.

Countryside: an English Blend
  • Flue-cured Virginia Lemon 6.25% (1 parts per 16)
  • Flue-cured Virginia Bright 6.25% (1 parts per 16)
  • Flue-cured Virginia Double-Bright 18.75% (3 parts per 16)
  • Flue-cured Virginia Red Cavendish 18.75% (3 parts per 16)
  • Basma 18.75% (3 parts per 16)
  • Latakia 6.25% (1 parts per 16)
  • Perique 25.00% (4 parts per 16)
300 dpi 3-1/2" Countryside label as pdf

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bags and More Bags

This is a snapshot of the mess of blends and components I'm fiddling with at this point in time. Every proposed blend has to be made up into a small batch, then tested (and sometimes reformulated). And of course, each needs to be thoughtfully savored and evaluated. While this view is in my kitchen, all the resulting bags of blend end up piled beside my computer desk in my study, where I actually smoke them--over days to weeks. Alongside them, at my right elbow, are at the moment 9 tins and jars of larger batches of blends that I enjoy on a regular basis. It's a mess, but a fun kind of mess. It's my winter sport.

I currently have about a half-dozen new blends that will trickle into this thread, once I'm happy with both the blend and label graphics. Most of our pipe smoking members have little interest in most of my blends. But some love Latakia, some hate it, some are in between. The same goes for Perique. And I would guess that most members don't have every blend ingredient ready at hand. My hope is that, overall, every pipe smoker on the forum will find at least one or two of my new blends that they enjoy every few months or so. For me, it's just fun to do, fun to discover new relationships between pipe tobacco components, and fun to give them all a try.

I must thank Don, at wholeleaftobacco.com, for making so many different, yummy blend components available to me.

Bob