Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deluxestogie Grow Log 2022

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Out of Sight; Out of Mind

Garden20220114_6182_cigarScrapCollection_700.jpg

Whenever my gallon bag of short cigar scrap or long cigar scrap seemed full, and I didn't feel like rolling more cigars with scrap, I would start a new bag, and stash the filled one in my washstand cigar humidor. A decade ago, I used cute little jars to hold the scrap. Even an empty corn starch mini-tub. This morning, I wondered how much was in there. I was honestly surprised at how many containers of cigar scrap were hiding all this time. A rough guess is that this could completely fill a 5 gallon bucket.

Premium leaf! Aged up to 10 years! Limited supply!

Bob

jclif43

Out of Sight; Out of Mind

Garden20220114_6182_cigarScrapCollection_700.jpg

Whenever my gallon bag of short cigar scrap or long cigar scrap seemed full, and I didn't feel like rolling more cigars with scrap, I would start a new bag, and stash the filled one in my washstand cigar humidor. A decade ago, I used cute little jars to hold the scrap. Even an empty corn starch mini-tub. This morning, I wondered how much was in there. I was honestly surprised at how many containers of cigar scrap were hiding all this time. A rough guess is that this could completely fill a 5 gallon bucket.

Premium leaf! Aged up to 10 years! Limited supply!

Bob
Should make for many an interesting smoke, and like snowflakes, no two will be the same.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20220114_6183_jarCigarScrap2011_700.jpg

This jar of scrap (one of the two hidden in the previous photo) is filled with mystery leaf that is nicely shredded to a width much finer than I currently shred my pipe tobacco. The jar aroma is mild, and offers no hint of "cigar". Heaven only knows what's in it. My guess is a random mixture of home-grown and WLT. The contents of the second jar seems similar-ish.

Stuffed into a pipe, it lights easily, and is mild in its aromas. Nicotine is mild. Its aroma profile seems broad but subtle. Old age does that.

A free pound of pre-shredded pipe tobacco. Yay!

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20220115_6184_rooster_500.jpg

A Bunch of Bull
I just spent $40 to purchase what may have been the last snow shovel in the county. It's a nice snow shovel. None of the dollar stores or supermarkets had any snow shovels. I arrived at the local Ace/TrueValue hardware store right at opening time this morning—7:45 am. There were nearly a dozen cars in their lot already. Many were there to purchase sleds for their kids. Aside from the snow shovel that I ultimately purchased, the only other snow shovel sort of tool weighed about 20 pounds, and had a handle so long it would not have fit into my car. (When the clerk scanned the barcode on that last of true snow shovels, I think he may have surreptitiously pressed the hidden "sucker" button.) Including sales tax, it came to exactly $40. Two twenty dollar bills. One shovel. The very last shovel.

And I don't even shovel my driveway any more. I do need to shovel the pull-off at my mailbox, as well as my porch and steps. $40. Poof!

Actual Bovine
Yesterday, a black steer mosied up the road past my house. I phoned the farmer of the pasture across the road. The angus steer wandered out of sight. Before too long, two farm trucks were out searching for the now missing steer, and two ATVs were inspecting the pasture fence lines, eventually locating and repairing a breach.

Poultry
At noon today, a black rooster appeared beneath my apple trees, pecking at bugs on the ground. I have no idea who owns it, since I can't recall having heard a rooster crowing for the past year or so. Shortly after I snapped the above photo, the adult son of my next door neighbor came out in muck boots (He recently graduated from Virginia Tech with a major in agronomy. I think all the agronomy majors wear muck boots.) and hauled away the rooster by its legs... upside down. There's a lot of farm in that boy.

Coming Attractions
  1. My newly purchased, cheap tobacco pipe (cheap pipe for excellent tobacco) is due to arrive in my mailbox within the hour.
  2. Tomorrow I get to go out and play in a foot of powder snow, with 35 mph winds.
Bob

93rdCanadian

Looking forward to the snow, I think the same system is headed up towards me, supposed to get a good snowfall Sunday night into Monday. Looking forward to using the snowblower, always a fun day when I get to take out my toys. We just got a new shovel too just a week ago but at $10 CAD I think they did hit the sucker button when you checked out.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Not too many years ago, when a heavy snowfall threatened, I would get out a pair of my Nordic skis (shorter and narrower for compact snow, longer/broader for soft, deep snow) with their free-heel boots, and set them by the front door. Once it was daylight, I would do a couple of circuits around the inside periphery of the two acre pasture in front of my porch. If the roads were cleared, I would drive out to the National Forest about 30 miles north of me, and ski some of the steeper hiking trails. But that was back when I was immortal.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I appear to have received less than half of the predicted 14" of snow today. I'll measure it tomorrow. I managed to clear most of the snow off my front porch and steps, but was then afraid to clear a path to my car. Mere feet from my porch steps, I could clearly see that Bigfoot had recently sauntered past.

Garden20220116_6188_BigfootPrints_600.jpg

Bob

GunnyJ

We didn't get as much snow as predicted but late last night it turned to freezing rain so what we have now is a nice thick sheet of crunchy, slushy stuff that weighs a ton. I shoveled a small path for the dog but that's as much as I'm shoveling today.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
With a steady 30+ mph wind that gusts much higher (the pedestal, oscillating fan tucked in the deepest corner of the porch is now running without power), and very powdery snow, every bit of the porch and steps that I cleared last night has now been officially uncleared. Wind chill is less than deluxe. Mercifully, the electricity and Internet continue to function.

Bob

93rdCanadian

Mercifully, the electricity and Internet continue to function.

Bob
There is always a silver lining! We got around 2ft or so last night and today in Toronto. Ended up in the hospital with chest pains after trying to free a van from the snow and hauling 40lbs of road salt back and forth for traction. Alas there is always a silver lining, my heart is ok and the snow is clearing. Stay safe!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I managed to avoid stepping off my bottom porch step all day. I did sweep them clear of snow. Just before sunset, I noticed that my mailbox, way out by the road, had its door open. Today is a mail holiday in the US. With gaiters and layers of garments and twin trekking poles (with snow baskets), I trudged out the unshoveled driveway through the brisk and refreshing, gale of a wind, just to clean the snow out of the box and close its door. My best guess is that the mailbox was lightly brushed with a passing pickup truck's extra-wide side mirror. (The two mailboxes of mine that had been "lightly brushed" by snowplows ended up ten yards down the road, completely crushed. That was over a decade ago. I then relocated my mailbox to the opposite side of the road.)

Bob

Radagast

There is always a silver lining! We got around 2ft or so last night and today in Toronto. Ended up in the hospital with chest pains after trying to free a van from the snow and hauling 40lbs of road salt back and forth for traction. Alas there is always a silver lining, my heart is ok and the snow is clearing. Stay safe!
Take care pal, I'm just up in Peterborough if you need anything..