Staff member
Garden20221205_6775_excavatingWell_600.jpg

Garden20221205_6776_excavatingWell_600.jpg

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
These things always happen at the most in-opportune times
  1. When the water came rushing back, it permanently clogged the faucet on my kitchen sink with (likely) rust flakes, although the spray hose works better than before. Need to replace the fixture.
  2. After taking a wonderful, hot shower, one of the little, top wheels that support the sliding glass shower door snapped off. Need to replace the wheel or the shower doors.
Sometimes the synchrony of stuff falling apart is so tightly clustered that it exceeds my ability to be angered. When the shower door wheel snapped off, I started laughing.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20221226_6810_frostTobaccoField_600.jpg

My temperature dipped to 6°F in the wee hours this morning. As I was preparing my mug of morning coffee, I was visited by the Ghost of Tobacco Crops Past.

Peering from the window above my kitchen sink, and through my enclosed back porch, I saw this mirage of a tobacco field, where my back yard should be. These frost patterns are formed crystal by crystal, in a generally random pattern that displays the slight temperature gradient from the bottom of the glass to the top. Even fractals can grow their own tobacco.

Bob

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What nicer way to end a grow year than to complete a 2 month kiln run. Bags of leaf and a couple of strings of leaf.

Garden20221228_6811_kilnRunEnd_600.jpg

I'll allow the kiln to fully dry for a couple of months, before starting another run. It will be 8 years old this April. I'll also clean 2 months of well-water lime deposits from the Crockpot.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My outdoor temperature climbed a little above 60°F today, DEC 30. Out on my front porch, smoking several cigars, I observed a pair of Carolina bluebirds, a pair of goldfinches, a cardinal and a few sparrows, all flittering about, looking for seeds and bugs. Scant pickings. Two vultures circled in the distance. I could hear an occasional crow, but never saw one. A dozen or so honeybees, from my neighbor's hives, kept me constant company on the porch for an hour or so. Sitting out there, without a computer in my lap—just a cigar and a mug of ice water—I simply enjoyed the moment.

Toward the end of my mental wandering, a Walmart gig driver dropped off a huge bundle of toilet paper, a pack of BIC lighters, and my new, 2023 wall calendar. Next task for me today is to transcribe all the many birthdays from my soon-to-be-expired calendar into the new one.

Bob

Radagast

My outdoor temperature climbed a little above 60°F today, DEC 30. Out on my front porch, smoking several cigars, I observed a pair of Carolina bluebirds, a pair of goldfinches, a cardinal and a few sparrows, all flittering about, looking for seeds and bugs. Scant pickings. Two vultures circled in the distance. I could hear an occasional crow, but never saw one. A dozen or so honeybees, from my neighbor's hives, kept me constant company on the porch for an hour or so. Sitting out there, without a computer in my lap—just a cigar and a mug of ice water—I simply enjoyed the moment.

Toward the end of my mental wandering, a Walmart gig driver dropped off a huge bundle of toilet paper, a pack of BIC lighters, and my new, 2023 wall calendar. Next task for me today is to transcribe all the many birthdays from my soon-to-be-expired calendar into the new one.

Bob
Today was a good day.

Joe Swart

Bob
With all the bad news we seem to be exposed to the scene you beautifully described balances everything out. I too had a similar experience yesterday just observing my surroundings while sipping some flake in my pipe. In those moments everything seems right just as it is. Thanks, Bob.

RbwGeorge

In the Shed

This first image demonstrates how stalk-curing minimizes the risk of flash-drying green leaves. Even though the leaf is now well into color-curing, the stalks are still alive and green.

Garden20221014_6700_stalkCuringLeaves_600.jpg

Below, this stalk-cut Prilep 66-9/7 began its curing career in the sunshine. It's now finishing its color-curing in the shed.

Garden20221014_6699_Prilep66_9_7_stalk-cured_600.jpg

The primed, lower leaf of my Corojo 99 has color-cured with a fairly light color—lighter than is typical, likely because of the relatively dry conditions at the time they colored. Higher humidity during color-curing usually results in a darker color.

Garden20221014_6696_Corojo99_primedLowerLeaf_600.jpg

Bob
Did you cut the stalks or did you pull the whole plant out?
I want to do it like that!

Thank you and cheers!
George