Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deluxestogie Grow Log 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyLeez

Amazing photos Bob. I have not seen snow like that. No snow here.
How cold is it when covered in snow like that.
What was your temperature?

Cheers
Jenny

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The temperature during much of the snowfall was near the freezing mark. That's what produces wet, heavy snow that sticks to everything. At colder temps, you get a dry powder that forms snowdrifts, but won't stick to branches and power lines.

I guess you're not near the Lord of the Rings part of New Zealand, JennyLeez. Maybe that was the Land of Middle Zealand that they filmed.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20180328_3489_branches_puddle_600.jpg

Altogether, I will have four 48-cell 1020 trays going. One is complete. Today I endured the tedium of filling the remaining 3 trays with starting mix. The Corojo 99 is just about ready for its wee seedlets to migrate to a tray--maybe tomorrow.

So far, there is no sign of life from the 1947 Sweet Oronoko. The Rabo de Gallo Negro may be doing something, but I'm not sure yet. Everything else is in various stages of emergence. I do have 28 Duzce going, and those were not originally planned. Being destined for close spacing in the ground (as small Orientals), I'll fit as many as 27 of them in the space originally allotted for only 8 of the Sweet Oronoko--a 5' x 6' bed.

All the germination business slowed down when my power was out for 30 hours. So I'll be patient with the slow ones.

Garden20180328_3492_branches_pine_600.jpg

Mercifully, the ground is too soggy and flooded at the moment (3 acres of 14" snow melting) for me to start picking up all the hefty maple and pine branches that came down all over the yard. Some are 5" in diameter, and at least 15' long. I'll lop them into manageable pieces in a few days, then haul them to a brush pile over the next few weeks. The only branches I've moved were the ones blocking my neighbor's driveway.

Garden20180328_3493_branches_wheresTheBunny_600.jpg

Bob

ciennepi

Good luck for the job in your garden. Every here in Italy the winter seem to will not let begin the spring! I hope for the little seed of Rabo that there are still a few of life in them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Neither the Rabo de Gallo Negro nor the Sweet Oronoko have germinated. The two methods (my standard seeding in a cup of starting mix, and the freezer shock) are showing the same results. I will wait a up to a month, before declaring them dead.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Years ago, when Don and I tried to germinate the Sweet Oronoko, we both tried giberellic acid without success. I think that particular packet of 1947 seed is toast. If the Rabo de Gallo Negro fails to germinate from my two trials this season, I'll probably give it another try next year.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Neither the Rabo de Gallo Negro nor the Sweet Oronoko have germinated. The two methods (my standard seeding in a cup of starting mix, and the freezer shock) are showing the same results. I will wait a up to a month, before declaring them dead.Bob
Sorry to hear Bob. But it can still be a miracle!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Levi Gross is the Easter Bunny Champion!

Have you ever looked at a new photo with a sense of déja vu?

Garden20180414_3518_Bob_Snitznoodle_600.jpg

I know. I have ears, and the kind and friendly Snitznoodle does not. But other than that...

Bob

Levi Gross

I always knew those where’s Waldo books would pay off some day!

Bob, there is a striking resemblance; however I don’t think Mr. Snitzdoodle is as well versed in Tobacco or any of the other fine subjects you present to the forum. I would love to visit with you some day. Your wealth of knowledge is amazing.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm... I like sandwiches sounds like he’s in the club then!
"The Snitznoodle took a knife from his pocket. 'See?' he said. 'First I cut two thin slices of air. And then I spread a lump of soft wind on each slice of air and place them together and I have a nice wind sandwich.'

"Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy and Little Weakie tasted the Snitznoodle's wind sandwich, but they did not think it very good."

Awww.. I remember that stuff. It turns into squirrel bedding once it is run through the lawnmower.
That's harsh. Every Agribon deserves a second chance.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The 3" of rain on Sunday turned my driveway into a temporary lake. Only today has the water mostly cleared away. A mallard drake had planned to show his fiancée the new home that he had discovered only yesterday. But alas, their hope of the American dream has been dashed.

Garden20180418_3525_drivewayMallards_600.jpg

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tamper Proof

Garden20180419_3528_pipeTamper_maple_600.jpg

About 8 years ago, when my grandson was just a toddler, I would often watch him at my son's house, so that they could get out for a while. If the weather was nice, I would go out to the yard, so he could play and get grubby. At those times, I would pull out a corncob pipe, and smoke a bowl.

My first whittled tamper happened during one of those toddler minding sessions. I had forgotten my tamper. I picked up a random twig from the yard, and crudely shaped it with my pocket knife. On my next visit, I intentionally left my tamper behind, and located a more suitable stick. Rather than smoke the pipe, while my grandson dug in the dirt, I whittled a more decorative tamper. I've made a dozen since then.

Garden20180419_3526_pipeTamper_mapleAndTwig_600.jpg

They need a sturdy and flat "scraper" end, as well as a moderately generous tamping end. The best material I've found, in terms of durability, is Live Oak. But Silver Maple tampers last for about 5 years, so that's not too bad for a twig from the lawn.

Over the past few weeks, I've been blessed with about 1000 pounds of potential tamper material. Not wanting this windfall (!) to go to waste, I saved these two twigs. And there you have it. A sustainable, organic, free-range pipe tamper.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.