Whole Leaf Tobacco

A Few Homemade Dip Questions From A Noob!

tullius

Do you have advice on what I should do with the leaves when I get them? Do they need to be cooked or are they ready to grind up and make dip from when I get them?
Remove the midrib and grind the lamina up. I take out the midrib and shred lamina 1/8" wide with pasta machine, then bake at very low heat for a little to dry it out, then pulverize several times in food processor, sifting in between, because I like super fine cut dip. I'm making tobacco flour, basically. Your favorite is extra long cut, so straight into the processor after midrib removal should be more suitable. You might try a meat grinder if you have one, heard it gives good results?

Dark air-cured tobacco is a separate class from burley. It can be potent. For your first batch with it, consider leaving out the sodium carbonate.
I haven't found this to be the case, but I am cutting 50% with dark fire cured and then putting 30-33% stems in, so maybe Bob has a good point. Try 100g batches until you get what you like. If you keep the dip a touch on the dry side and add the sodium carbonate after cooking, you can try it without first, and then add it after if necessary.

nunapitchuk

Thanks so much for the advice and information. What variety of tobacco plant is used to make the dark air cured leaves? Does "dark air cured" just mean that they are hung up and dried in the dark? Just curious. I will take the advice when I get them and do some small batch experiments until I find a recipe that I like.

ChinaVoodoo

Thanks so much for the advice and information. What variety of tobacco plant is used to make the dark air cured leaves? Does "dark air cured" just mean that they are hung up and dried in the dark? Just curious. I will take the advice when I get them and do some small batch experiments until I find a recipe that I like.
It does not mean that. Imagine a chart.
Air cured tobacco
Light air cured tobacco

Burley
Maryland

Dark air cured tobacco
Dark air
Cigar leaf

This is by no means comprehensive or global. Different people at different times have classified tobacco in different ways.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Air Cured is a USDA market class. Specific tobacco varieties include one-sucker, Little Yellow, and many "numbered" varieties from KY and TN, such as KY165 and KY180.

The class tends to have thick, sticky leaves that cured dark, and are relatively high in nicotine concentration (and flavor).

Bob

Jvergen

Well first try at making chewing tobacco my past experience has been with Redman golden. This is a blend of dark air, Maryland, fire Cured and Virginia bright leaf. Casted it with salt, gylercin, water and sorghum syrup. Currently chewing some now not bad a little high in nicotine but not. Any suggestions would be great for future batches. This sight keeps taking me down new paths you guy are great.

Jeff

Attachments

KenneyG

Here is a brief description of how I make dip... along with some explanations a long the way.

1. Pack a mason jar with shredded tobacco to which I have added a salt/water mixture to get it nice and moist (not sopping wet)
2. Cook for 8 hours at 185F. I'm not sure why you would want to do a double cook but for dip it would be a waste of time.
3. Pour hot tobacco into large metal bowl and add glycerine/sweetener.
4. Let cool/age for about a week. ( I keep the bowl on a counter top with a lid partially covering the bowl. I fluff up the dip once per day.
5. After about a week or two I will separate the dip into smaller batches and add my various flavorings.

So.. I like Yellow Twist Bud for my dip. It is fairly light in nicotine. I do not use any type of pH altering stuff such as sodium carbonate. Originally dip (snus etc) was made with up to 50% ground up stems. Stems have essentially no nicotine so I believe manufacturers started adjusting the pH in their mix to increase the nicotine absorption due to the stems. You do not need Sodium Carbonate for dip. I think this whole pH adjusting chemical thing began hundreds of years ago. Tobacco manufacturers had tons of stems left over from stripping the leaves for chew and pipe tobacco. So, what do you do with tons of stems? Use them as filler for dip. But that would make a weak product due to the low nicotine so add some Sodium Carbonate to increase the uptake of nicotine. This is a good example of a manufacturer turning his potential waste material into a profit instead of a loss.

For a sweetener I use Xylitol and pure Sucralose. Since I am going to have dip in my mouth I do not want to use sugar. Xylitol has excellent anti-tooth cavity properties as well as anti-microbial properties (the two being related).

The Glycerine is two fold. It has good anti-microbial properties and it adds "mouth feel" to the tobacco. This means that when you put dip in your mouth, all the flavor will not be sucked out in 30 seconds.

The reason I add my flavoring last is because I like a lot of variation in my dip. Sometimes I desire wintergreen, other times black licorice or even orange flavored. I usually make a big batch and after aging, break it up into smaller batches and store in the freezer. This is completely finished dip with the exception of the flavoring. If I am dipping wintergreen but have the urge for some apple cinnamon I just thaw a baggie of unflavored dip and add my flavoring.

Dip is easy.. don't over complicate things. As a matter of fact, you don't even need to cook your dip at all. That's just done to kill off any enzymes/bacteria that cause a rise in TSNAs.

If interested, let me know and I'll post my recipe (with quantities).
I am very interested in this please post the amounts

tullius

I am very interested in this please post the amounts
He did.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
He did.
Good find, brother. You found that as though you had read it before. ;) Good post.